Thursday, September 13, 2012

Same Old, Same Old

I've been in happy ruts before, working, playing, getting paid, even paying bills - slowly, but right now I'm in a jobless, homeless, no money, not much fun rut and...

I HATE IT!

The worst part is, I'm trying to apply for the kind of jobs I know I can do, and I'm still not hearing from anyone. What, am I on some kind of national blacklist? Have hiring managers been looking at my Youtube Page and going "No, never in a million years?"

Well, if that's happening, I'm sorry, I'm not going to take it down. If you won't hire me because of that, I don't want to work for you.

But I do want to work! If you can't guess my skillset from my WRITING and VIDEOS, let me tell you something about my skills:

I started out in college at Florida State University as a French Major. Yes, for a time, I spoke pretty fluent French and could write well also.

But times changed and so did my major, to Computer Science. I learned advanced mathematics, computer architecture, and PROGRAMMING in a mainframe environment (Control Data Assembly, PASCAL and COBOL, with a little FORTRAN mixed in.) I even had some experience during that time in what amounted to volunteer work (or "contract if you ask the owner") at a small company that used a minicomputer to handle data entry for a small insurance company. I programmed in SYBOL and handled day to day routines.

Broke and fed up with empty promises, I moved on from both Florida State and that company and moved to Tampa, where I did CLERICAL work for another insurance company.

Then I started taking a course in ELECTRONICS at a small 'college' in Tampa and eventually earned a 'diploma' there. I moved to Las Vegas and worked with repairing slot machines and video poker machines.

After Las Vegas I wandered for a bit, taking odd jobs, but landed a temporary job as a COMPUTER OPERATOR, working tape drives, running BATCH jobs with MVS/JES2.

Then I turned to sales at RADIO SHACK. I sold small parts, all kinds of electronics and I started learning about PC's and DOS, and the relatively new WINDOWS 3.0.

Seeing a trend here? I hope so. Tomorrow I'll continue after Radio Shack and tell you what else I can do.

Thanks for reading.


3 comments:

  1. Believe me, it's not just you. After I got laid off, I looked for a year and a half before I found another job. I know others who lost their jobs before I did and are still looking. I keep hearing on the news that the economy is recovering, but I don't seem to be seeing it among anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that ACS is hiring, but I'm fairly certain you don't want to go back there (no one else I know wants to, either). TOS is not hiring, per my boss. And the Subway at 401 and Spring Forest has a help wanted sign outside. My best friend made the suggestion to check out Craigslist for job posting, but be careful.

    Hopefully with the holidays coming up, there may be at least some holiday work available. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something.

    I was out of a job for a while when I was laid off, but I harassed them enough they brought me back as soon as something else was available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to apply to ACS, got as far as a good interview, but they checked their records and saw that I left them without notice, due to stress, and they said no. I can live with that, the fact that they're hiring so much means their turnover rate is pretty high. I've scoured Craig's list, but between the scams and the jobs that I really can't do, including Subway, there's not much there. I need full mobility in my arm to be effective there (I used to work at one a few years back). Thanks for the tips and the pats on the back. I'll survive. Even more of a reason to somehow find the funds to get my businesses going.

    ReplyDelete