Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Intro Part III - My Job(s)

As I stated in my first post, I consider my calling in life to be writing. I am a writer, whether successful or not is a matter of opinion.
Yet since I do not make any real money from it, I must turn to other ways to make ends meet. Over my entire life I've had many types of jobs. I've tried so many different jobs, in an effort to find something that I'm not only good at, but feel comfortable doing. So far, writing is the only thing that has truly made me feel comfortable.
I'll go into details of past jobs as the blog progresses, but for now, let it be known that I work in customer service, in the current case, technical support. I work from home, which is convenient in most ways, but does have a few down points, but that's for another blog.
The thing about customer service/tech support is that I'm fairly good at it. I'm generally polite, though some people have tried their best to push my buttons. I have a fairly calm demeanor, and a great deal of patience.
But I hate talking on the phone. I REALLLLLLLLY hate talking on the phone. But it does pay the bills, and in this economy, I don't have a lot of choice. To give you an indication of just how much I hate talking - in general not just on the phone - if it weren't for this job and others like it, I wouldn't talk at all. Seriously. I hate the sound of my voice. I've heard people say I sound young. Yeah, like a teenager who's voice is changing. If you'd like to hear a sample, just check out my youtube videos.
In all, I'd rather be sending emails, using IM's and using technology in general than using my voice.
Yet somehow I muddle through a job that requires me to talk 40 hours a week.
I'm good at it. I don't enjoy it. I'd rather be writing or playing. But that's the subject of another blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment