Monday, November 16, 2009

My Job: Professional waiter

Those of you who know what I do for a living will look at that and go 'Huh?' Let me explain.
I work tech support for a large mobile network service provider. I work with Palms and Blackberries, helping people get their phones to do what they want to do.
The job is relatively simple, the troubleshooting steps are laid out pretty precisely. I would not rate the job itself as particularly difficult.
The customers are another matter. Most are impatient, rude, and think they know my job better than I do. Fix your own damn phone if you feel that way.
But getting back to the title, the process for fixing the issues our customers have is time consuming. Once we get deep into the process, it usually involves waiting, and more waiting. Hence the term professional waiter. I do not wait tables. I do not want to wait tables. I have enough issues with talking to people on the phone without seeing them in person. Plus I don't have the physical capacity to wait tables.
Just as well, I'd rather be this kind of waiter, and can do things like type this blog while I'm on a call, than the other type where I don't get a moment's rest.
And there's the added advantage of working from home. I love this! If I'm on a long call, I can hop off, grab a drink and be back before the customer knows I'm gone. And during breaks and lunch I can turn on the TV and relax on the couch.
More people should work this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment